Thursday, May 13, 2010

Chocolate and beer

Chocolate beer? Doesn't sound like a great idea, right?

But Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout does it right. When I was planning my trip to New York City, scoring some was a priority. I did just that at the frumpy-fabulous New Beer Distributors. Snagging a four-pack was a coup because the stout is a seasonal winter brew. I wasn't sure I would be able to find it in May. When I saw it on the tightly packed shelf, I greedily grabbed it.

This beer is for the greedy. It's over-the-top indulgent. It pours a jet-black with a small, frothy head. It's technically a Russian Imperial Stout and smells like one with a rich malty aroma that has a bite from the hops and high alcohol content.

On the first sip, the beer coats the tongue and has a weighty feel in the mouth. It has a nice hoppy bite up front that melts away into the rich malts. There definitely is a chocolate hint -- from the chocolate malted barley used in the brewing process. But the chocolate taste is fairly subtle. It's more of an allusion. It's not overpowering or syrupy.

In short, the chocolate fits. It works. Beautifully. So well, in fact, that Black Chocolate Stout easily takes a spot in my top-three stouts.

There's only one problem: I wish I would have brought back more than four bottles.


The details:
Name: Black Chocolate Stout
Brewer: Brooklyn Brewery
Beer Advocate rank: NR
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Alcohol: 10.1 percent
Cost: $9.75 for a four-pack
My Grade: A
Skinny: It's not as chocolate-tasting as it sounds, but it is just as indulgent as its name suggests. This beer is in my top three stouts -- along with the Abyss and Old Rasputin. It's robust and rich. The 10-percent alcohol doesn't hurt its case either. A really nice drinking experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment