Sunday, April 25, 2010

King of the mountains

Mt. Rainier is an incredible sight. At 14,411 feet, it towers over Washington. It explodes from sea level and on clear days dominates the horizon.

I was fortunate enough to snowshoe on its flanks on one of those clear days in February. The experience easily ranked at or near the top of my favorite treks on my West Coast swing. And it left me infatuated with getting on top of Rainier sometime in the near future.

My friend Chuck -- a University of Washington-Tacoma political communications professor -- had never been snowshoeing before. And I really wanted to mess around on Rainier. So we chose a popular and beautiful trail for an excursion.

Reflection and Louise lakes -- two pristine mountain ponds -- are nestled in the ridges and trees to the southeast of Mt. Rainier, or Mount Tahoma, as the natives call it.

The trail started out steep just beyond a warming hut at the Narada Falls parking lot. The traverse along a sheer, exposed face had Chuck and I wondering about avalanches and our own stamina. Both worries were moot.

The trail gained a ridge with jaw-dropping views of Rainier. Seeing the mountain pop out from behind snow-covered pines almost took my breath away. It's a cliche, but it's true.

We followed the ridge to another steep section. At its crest, it quickly dove into a narrow ridge filled with more tall pines. After a short romp, the trees opened to reveal Reflection Lake. Rugged peaks circled the lake.

Another short trek would have taken us to Louise Lake, but it was late in the day, and we played it safe. The trek back to the car revealed more amazing views of Rainier.

It truly is king of the mountains in that region. And it looms large in my mind and on my list of peaks I want to summit.

The details:
Reflection Lakes via Mazama Ridge
Location: Near Mt. Rainier, 8 miles northeast of Longmire, Wash.
Length: 5 miles
Beginning elevation: 4,500 feet
Peak elevation: 5,100 feet
Difficulty (out of 5): 2

No comments:

Post a Comment